Pesto. Versatile. Delicious. And if you roll up your sleeves a bit you can make it out of just about anything. Unfortunately when I started making this dish, i didn’t realize I was out of pasta. So I improvised and used another grain - millet? Well, it worked. And once mixed together it became an interestingly delicious mix of egg, veggie, and pesto.
Millet with Pesto, Poached Eggs, Tomatoes, and Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup millet
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp white wine vinaigrette
- 2 poached eggs
- half a tomato, sliced
- 2-3 mushrooms, sliced
- crushed basil
- garlic powder
- Arugula-Parsley-Walnut Pesto
- red pepped flakes
- Start cooking millet by heating a 1 cup of water on high over the stove. Once water reaches a boil, add millet and reduce to a simmer. cover for 10 minutes
- Start poaching your eggs. Follow my link above for an easy technique.
- Add a tbsp of white wine vinegar to the millet and stir. Recover and let cook for 10-15 more minutes.
- On a pan with a little cooking spray begin heating your tomatoes and mushrooms and sprinkle with basil and garlic. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until soft.
- At this point your millet should be done. Remove it, and top with eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and pesto. Garnish with red pepper flakes. Enjoy!